RUAA Grant Program
Rutgers University Alumni Association Grant Program
The grant program provides RUAA chartered organizations with financial assistance to develop new initiatives that will serve alumni and friends by offering meaningful ways for them to connect with each other and deepen their Rutgers bond.
There are two grant cycles every year (winter and summer), and eligible groups may submit applications during both. The maximum award available is $1,500 per grant cycle per chartered group.
View a list of past grant recipients and projects and learn about the projects being supported.
Application Submission and Deadline
Grant applications must be submitted by the following closing dates in order to be considered for the corresponding grant cycle.
Each application must include one project. Groups may submit multiple applications if they are looking to fund multiple projects in one grant cycle (a maximum of $1,500 will be awarded for all projects combined).Grants will not be awarded to reimburse for past events.
IMPORTANT NOTES: Given the current circumstances, there will be no in-person events until January 2021. Therefore, all applications for programs that are scheduled to take place in 2020 must be virtual. Additionally, we ask that all in-person programs taking place through June 2021 be submitted with a virtual backup plan noted within the application. Any group that has unused funds from a previously awarded grant must document their updated plan for use of the funds with their staff partner to be eligible for any additional support.
Summer Grant Cycle
- August 28, 2020–Application deadline
- September 30, 2020–Grant disbursements
Winter Grant Cycle
- January 28, 2021–Application deadline
- March 1, 2021–Grant disbursements
Grant funds are available for new initiatives that address these programming priority areas:
- Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Networking (deliberate and proactive)
- Young Alumni and Student Engagement
- Career/Professional Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Fostering Philanthropy (in partnership with Rutgers University Foundation)
A detailed budget with estimated expenses is required with your group’s application. Grant funds may not be used for scholarships.
Post-Project Impact Summary
This summary must be submitted within 30 days of project completion. Future grant requests will be denied if this summary is not submitted and/or previous grant funding has not been used.
To receive grant funding, chartered organizations must meet the following requirements:
- Be in good standing as defined by the standards and expectations set forth by the RUAA
- Maintain a bank account insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
- Submit IRS Form W-9 identifying the chartered organization’s Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Use the RUAA’s communication tools including, but not limited to, the events calendar, broadcast email, and registration system, to promote the program for which funds are granted
- Include a statement referencing the use of grant monies received from the RUAA in communications about the program/event, for example, “This program made possible through financial support received from the Rutgers University Alumni Association”
Projects will be evaluated for the following:
- Alignment to at least one of the programming priority areas noted above
- Anticipated success in enhancing alumni engagement, particularly in engaging new alumni/volunteers
- A project description that clearly defines how the funding will be used
- A detailed budget for the intended project
- A clear strategy for alumni engagement and follow-up
- A plan to measure success and the impact the project will have on the organization’s goals and the RUAA’s mission
Review and Award Process
- Awards will be determined by a review committee comprising volunteer leaders and RUAA staff partners.
- Awards will be made at the discretion of the review committee and reported to the RUAA Board of Directors.
- If your application is approved, you will receive a formal letter via email which must be signed and returned before the funds can be remitted.
Grant applications submitted after the deadlines shown above will be considered in the next grant cycle.