Planning and Promoting Events
Planning & Marketing Your Event
COVID-19 In-Person Protocols
Before planning an in-person event, please read the RUAA Charter Groups In-Person Events Policy.
Virtual Events and Zoom Access
Zoom accounts are available to RUAA charter groups in good standing for ongoing planning and execution of virtual meetings and programs with alumni and friends. This is available to any of the four chartered alumni group officers, as identified in your annual activity report which is required to be submitted each summer. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an official RUAA Zoom account to engage your group constituency and setup instructions will be shared.
Benefits/Features of Your Zoom Account
- High-quality video and audio support for up to 500 participants.
- Ability to customize your own virtual backgrounds, including the Rutgers custom backgrounds available to you here.
- Easy-to-use tools such as Whiteboard and Annotate to share and collaborate with others.
- Breakout rooms allowing you to split your Zoom meeting into as many as 50 separate sessions. Learn more about Zoom resources for managing breakout rooms here.
- Access to record meetings/events and 500 megabytes (MB) of cloud storage per account. NOTE: Zoom recordings will be deleted after 180 days.
Important Information About Your Zoom Account
- Review Zoom volunteer users policy
- The account information should not be shared and is unique to the individual account holder.
- Account holders could initiate/start a Zoom meeting/event and pass host rights to another person and exit the session.
- Renewals – Volunteers may receive an annual email regarding an upcoming expiration of their access but do not need to take any action to renew. Provided you have completed your annual activity report and remain in a leadership role, staff will automatically renew your access.
- To ensure Zoom security, all volunteers will be prompted to change NetID passwords once annually. This prompt will occur only when logged into Zoom within 30 days of expiration. If prompts are missed and access error occurs, a password reset may be needed.
Resources for Using Zoom
- Zoom everyday use tutorial
- Rutgers IT Zoom Knowledge Base
- Zoom Training (live trainings included here)
- Free online Zoom training webinars
- LinkedIn Learning Zoom courses
All RUAA charter group volunteer leaders with Zoom accounts will also be granted access to LinkedIn Learning, offering thousands of professional courses to build the most in-demand skills. Login using the email address associated with your Rutgers NetID.
Event Planner Checklist
Great events take organization and planning. Download an event planning checklist before you get started.
Set Up Your Event Registration
All alumni events must use the Rutgers CVENT event registration to collect data on attendees. Request an event registration is built for your event here. Event registration pages take 2 weeks to build. We recommend launching your event registration 2 weeks prior to virtual events and 4 weeks prior to in-person events.
Unsure how to fill out the event registration request form? Watch this short explainer video here.
Requests to engage Rutgers leadership in events must be run through your RUAA staff partner.
Coverage for group leaders is available under the university’s umbrella liability insurance policy.
Rutgers Exhibit Kit
A package of display materials is available for use at meetings, conferences, receptions, and other types of public events. This kit includes table coverings, banners, podium signs, and other items that showcase Rutgers. To request materials, please complete the Exhibit Kit Request Form at least five business days prior to the date needed.
Please note: The Exhibit Kits will only be released to Rutgers University staff. Therefore, when completing the “Person picking up materials (if different from requester)” section of the form, please insert your RUAA staff resource partner’s name and phone number. Once the form is submitted, please notify your staff resource partner immediately by sending an email to email@example.com.
Material quantities are limited and will be made available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Promote Your Event
Use the resources in our communications toolkit to promote your event.